Foundation & Annual Fund FAQ's
- What is the Annual Fund ?
The Annual Fund is an unrestricted fund administered by the ASAE Foundation to raise funds for research, innovation and leadership.
- Why did we move toward an Annual Fund?
The Annual Fund's flexibility to raise unrestricted funds enables us to be timely, flexible and responsive to the demands of our members who are asking ASAE Foundation to be the innovator and laboratory for our profession to create the association of the future.
- The Annual Fund raises money every year to:
- Build on the body of knowledge associations need to survive in todays economy.
- Cultivate and retain the next generation of leaders for the 21st century workplace.
- Build sustainable organizations that exchange ideas and best practices.
- How does this help me and my association?
- ASAE Foundation creates a forum to foster greater innovation within a global business environment. As an individual association, you will have access to the foundations results.
- ASAE Foundation will work to enhance the quantity, quality and relevance of the association management tools and resources offered by ASAE. Your contribution combined with others will help with these efforts.
- Your investment funds the development of innovative new programs that reflect todays changing environment.
- To what specific activities will the Annual Fund contributions be invested?
- Research and Innovation
Our program of work includes conducting research and creating knowledge in core association management areas.
- Developing Future Leaders
ASAE actively recruits young professionals through a deliberate and targeted membership strategy. You benefit by the increasing number of young professionals in association management. Some activities in which we are already engaged and that have been funded illustrate the kinds of things that might be discussed here:
- The Leadership Academy: Association Young Professionals is a two year learning, networking and growth program for association and nonprofit professionals who are early in their careers. (Funded through 2012 through a grant from American Express)
- The Diversity Executive Leadership Program (DELP). The DELP program helps individuals from underrepresented segments of the association community advance into the ranks of leadership in the association profession. (Funded through a long-standing partnership with Detroit.)
- Young Professionals Network: A network of association young professionals connecting through reduced memberships, social networking tools, and in-person and virtual learning programs. (This is a member segment now that might be supported with new programs funded through Foundation support.)
- Building sustainable organizations that exchange ideas and best practices for a global world:
- Designing an online resource center where association professionals can connect and collaborate.
- Implementing a communications program to build awareness and recruit supporters for the Global Principles for Socially Responsible Associations & Nonprofits.
- Why do you need another fund when you have an endowment?
The Endowment is a restricted fund that supports in-part our aggressive research and innovation agenda. But our members are asking us to do more to be a model- to provide more innovation in all areas of association management. We currently do not have an R&D fund where we can devote resources toward developing innovative new ideas, products and services.
- What type of contribution are you requesting?
Ideally, we would like you to make a personal gift to the Foundation in an amount that is comfortable for you. In the past, these have ranged from $100, $250 and $500. We are also asking that your association make an annual contribution, so that, collectively, we can lead initiatives that will help associations remain viable and relevant into the future.
- What if I want to support a specific initiative like The Leadership Academy?
You have the option to direct your funds towards a specific initiative or to the unrestricted annual fund.
- What is the duration of the Annual Fund each year?
The Annual Fund year begins September 1 and ends August 31.
- Who participates?
ASAE members, organizations, including industry partners and external stakeholders.
- How often will I be contacted?
The ASAE Boards and Volunteers will reach out to you throughout the year to ask for your support. We also conduct several general mailings each year and occasional special mailings.
- If I contribute early in the year, will I still receive the other mailings?
Generally, no, however, we may send a special mailing to inform our supporters of important developments at The Center.
- Who at ASAE Foundation manages the Annual Fund?
The ASAE Foundation staff and the Foundation Board of Directors
- Who are the staff contacts for Development?